Tuesday, 17 November 2009

I Chose you


An invitation to share my story with all people of our time – the story of God’s great love – this is inline with the theme of the 14th General Chapter of the Canossian Institute to which I belong. Indeed, it is through my own little stories from time to time that I have made known Jesus more and more to persons in my case – giving ministry since my baptism at 20. God grows to be much, much more than … through His faithfulness and boundless loving kindness.

CALL
As I re-read my life… The God of my childhood… though I was an unbaptised Methodist, the songs that I like “I will make you fishers of men if you follow me” (Sunday school). Jesus lives me, this I know (my mother’s favourite lullaby) are significant to me. Five of my elder siblings were baptised as infants while my younger brother and I were left unbaptised. The migration into the Catholic Church took place when I was 10. My favourite hymn was “I will go up to the altar of my God – the joy of my youth”. After my Form 5 results were out, I was led to India for study in Providence College. 10 years of a growing desire for baptism and Communion saw the dawn of the day 19th March 1976, when I became a daughter of God in Coonoor, India – away from family but in the midst of hostel friends and a brand new godmother. Amid a busy life of questions, study and weekend leisure in the hill resort, the call became loud and clear, “Will you give me your life forever and for others?” The call to seek His kingdom and enter His “university” attracted me when I encountered the different forms of poverty of others, shared my blessings and experienced the meaning of giftedness of self and others.

RESPONSE
I encountered Abba’s love for me as greater than my own father’s and mother’s. The redeeming Love of Jesus and comforting presence of the spirit became active experience in my life. In my vulnerability and joy I responded to His proposal – He called me, singled me out and Himself offered the honour of His love – my first Love. Other human (attractive proposals!) followed but His captivated me enough to withstand the strong objection of my father who was utterly disappointed as he had great plans for my future.

Human encounters / experiences of joy, sorrow on my road of life, left me in wonder…how much, much more the Father must be!

3 years later, my “YES” to Religious life led me to the Canossian Convent in 1981. I received my father’s fullest blessings and my family was convinced of my calling during the 3 years home / family formation and presence to mum & pa very specially. To day, my family is an ecumenical witness!

MISSION
These 25 years have unfolded Abba’s will for me an ever present Father – watching, leading, providing, comforting, correcting, disciplining, delivering, sheltering, refuting, nourishing – so tender and compassionate. My father had initiated me into the Catholic Church but at one to me I had to share it with his as he went through a faith crisis. What an experience of family sorrow! But only 4 months later, he proudly proclaimed the experience as a miracle – “I have come to know and love the one above!”

Then came a time of accompanying him through his struggle with renal failure and kidney dialysis. He yearned for physical healing but surrendered to spiritual healing – he had a beatific vision 7 weeks before death and I had a privileged conversation with him as I witnessed his total surrender, gratitude and joy at the end of the journey i.e. 2 days before death and his countenance of radiance 3 hours after death! Such affirmation of Abba being so close to us!

Then a few years ago, during my personal trial and suffering I felt sheltered and carried in His very heart and a new ministry unfolded.

My present apostolate together with another 2 Canossian Sisters – is our joint collaboration with the Gabrielite Brothers of Montfort Boys Town. In August 2002, we began the Montfort Girls Centre in Montfort Boys Town for 11 girls – providing residential care for teenagers (age 16 – 19). At present we have 20 girls from underprivileged family background who pursue a 2 year course on graphic design & multimedia. We Sisters provided administrative, pastoral and nursing care. There were 60 girls when I left Montfort. Now my present ministry is at ASAYO (Archdiocesan Single Adults and Youth Office), Parish visits and CHOICE, Communion minister to the homebound and parish.

To abide in you forever
To make you known and loved!

By
Sr. Yvonne Francis, FdCC

1 comment:

  1. You have a very nice blog here. You may also appreciate the many testimonies of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at http://wetestifyofchrist.blogspot.com. God bless!

    ReplyDelete