Monday, 1 March 2010

Sr. Shanti

MY VOCATION STORY



You wont believe it if I said that I never dreamt of becoming a nun more so a Canossian when growing up. I am now in my 8th year in the convent from the time I began my journey..how time flies., I cannot believe it myself at times!!Why a nun and why a Canossian, you might ask. I grew up a Canossian I guess…Why, because ever since I was young I knew the Canossian sisters and my mum is a Lay Canossian. So we always had articles or something in connection with the Cannossian lying around the house. I knew them but did not want to know more than that!!

I must say big gratitude to Sr Retta because if she had not challenged me then I would not be where I am today. I was single, available and enjoying all the trimmings the world could offer. I had very good job, a car, a lifestyle that would be very girls dream but yet there was always something missing. I could never pin point it anyway until Sr Retta brought to light that I wanted more out of my life. I wanted a Spiritual experience, an intimate relationship with God. I was missing that.

It was not an easy decision telling my family, being the only girl and youngest really did not help the situation either. I took a lot of courage. I know I hurt my mum the most surprisingly even though she was a Lay Canossian. I think it was the hardest for her. Dad was more acceptable even though it was he who gave me the best education anyone could ask for!!. I had everything in my life!!..well at least I thought so.

As I look back I am indeed very grateful to my family. It is not I who did the sacrifice its definitely them. To sacrifice me after giving everything they could give to their only daughter and sister was something BIG. I thank them for that.

It has been a very interesting, exhilarating and remarkable experience indeed. I am not saying that everything is a ROSE garden. You will find a thorn or two along the way but I always tell myself that I came here on my own free will and I will stay on my own free will. God has been great. He has been a very faithful, supportive and strengthening figure in my life. I could have not reach so far without Him!! Thus far he has been with me and I know he will continue His journey with me. I am after all an UNFINISHED PRODUCT….He is the POTTER I AM THE CLAY….

Love

Sr Shanti A Mariadass

No comments:

Post a Comment